#18 - Grammar Review Sheet

SEVEN RULES FOR CLAUSE PUNCTUATION

                                                                                                                               
1. Compound Sentences  can be punctuated three different ways:

    a. with a comma + a coordinate conjunction (fanboy)

    Ex. We love reading poetry, but we do not always understand it
    Ex.  Wiglaf asked me to go to the prom, and I said yes.

    b. with a semicolon only when the clauses relate clearly

     Ex. She studied ten hours for her calculus test; she earned an A on it.
     Ex. Some students love poetry; others despise it.

     c. with a semicolon + a connector (conjunctive adverb) + a comma

      Ex.  I would love to go out with you Friday night; however, I have too much homework
      Ex.  She worked hard to learn Spanish; she became fluent in the language, consequently.

2. Complex Sentences with an adverb clause can be punctuated two different ways:

     When the adverb clause appears first, before an independent clause, use a comma.

        Ex. Before I took Mr. M’s class, I used to enjoy English.
        Ex. Whenever I see you, I begin to feel ill.

      The comma is usually omitted when the adverb clause follows an independent clause.

        Ex. I used to enjoy English before I took Mr. M’s class.
        Ex. I begin to feel ill whenever I see you.
        Exceptions include although, though, and even though – they may have commas in either
           case.

3. Complex sentences with an adjective clause can be punctuated two different ways:

     a. When the adjective clause follows a specific noun or pronoun, use a comma after it.  

       Ex. She gave the money to Myrtle, who spent it on ice cream.
    
       b. The comma is omitted when the adjective clause follows a general noun.

       Ex. She gave to money to a friend who spent it on ice cream.